12.14.2008

Woes of a Mazda Enthusiast

So along with having an awesome car that I love to death, is having to fix said awesome car when she breaks.

My most annoying problem that's plagued me for the past year or so is the distributor.  See, when I had my Probe it was a '95, which has a distributor that works perfectly.  When I put the '95 motor into my '93 car I had to use the OEM '93 disty.  They have had many problems with that year, with the internal ignition coil and the ignitor module.  What solves the problem in the short term is replacing the disty, which I did, and have done about six times since then.  What fixes it in the long term is going with external ignition, either distributorless, which I don't want to do yet, or the GM HEI modification with an external coil (MSD ignition so to speak).  I'm lazy and it's cold out so I just keep replacing the disty, but I know I should soon bite the bullet and just wire everything up.

Another problem is my suspension, and the "awesome" sounds that go with it.  My front struts are shot, and at the moment I don't really care since it's almost winter and the potholes around here are insane.  However, I haven't had a sway bar in a year since the old links are sawed through and I don't have the means of getting the rest of them out of the sway bar.  Also, my CV shafts need to be replaced, they're starting to make noise, the tie rods (inner and outer) are probably shot, and my car is in need of an alignment.

Also, my motor mounts are shot, which is annoying not only because my car is both losing power because of them, and they make a horrible clunking noise, but because the movement of the motor all the time keeps breaking my normally sweet-sounding exhaust.  I keep having friends weld it up for me, one even put in a new flex-pipe since I didn't have one for months, but its broken again, and has an awesome exhaust leak, which comes into the cabin area, and sounds AWFUL.  Remedy for this is to replace said mounts (with new OEM ones, which are then filled with urethane), but that job takes about 6 hours (front is easy, rears a bitch) and the use of a lift, which I don't have.

There are some random things wrong with my car which doesn't really bother me or isn't on my priority list, such as the cam tick, which is non-detremental but does make my car sound like a diesal, the lack of a cupholder since I broke the only one in my car on the driverside, some random ghetto-wiring since I'm lazy, etcetc.

Well those were the top-three things to fix and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some good news to report about fixing any of those.

Edit: forgot to mention that I noticed again, for the second time in a couple of weeks, hitting the brakes hard makes the brake light come one, which means the fluid is low.  I haven't checked it yet today, but last time it did that it was pretty low on fluid.  When I replaced the rear calipers a few months ago everything seemed kosher, so it could be one of the calipers I used is leaking (they were used).  Next time I have the wheels off I'll take a look, and see if brand-spanking new calipers are needed.

2 comments: